Stereogram and how to decode it

Stereogram is one of the interesting stuffs I found in my school days. One of my cousins got a book that has high quality print of different cross-eye stereogram. I took couple of hours trying to find out how to decode it and now I can decode most of them in seconds.
I thought of writing about this as most of my friends had not seen this or are not aware of how to decode it. Today I checked the net and I found a lot of stuff regarding this and even an online Stereogram creator !.

Well, to make it simple, quote from Wikipedia says "A stereogram is an optical illusion of depth created from flat, two-dimensional image or images.". That is you have a image with patterns. If you look at it in a special way, you can see a three-dimensional object that is created using this pattern.

How to view stereogram

To view a stereogram image you need to look beyond the picture! Make sure your head is straight and your eyes are level with the picture. You then need to de-focus your eyes whilst imagining that you are trying to view an image that is twice as far away. ie: look through the picture.

A good way to practice is to hold up one finger in front of a wall. Focus on the wall and you will eventually see two fingers. You may also find it helpful to hold your head close to the stereogram picture and slowly move away.

here is a cross-eye stereogram from Wikipedia that has the image of a shark embedded in it.


Comments

Subhadra said…
I remember that stereogram book and that was fun :)
yes chechi, that was a nice book. do you still have it ?
Subhadra said…
Yes da, its there at Bangalore :)

Popular posts from this blog

Hide notification content in Android lock screen for Messages, email, whatsapp and selected apps.

Array functions in JavaScript