Google Ads

Monday, May 27, 2013

Sync events using iCalendar format with Google Calendar / MS Outlook / Apple devices without using APIs.

We can create a calendar file in iCalendar format and this file can be used by compatible applications like Google Calendar, MS Outlook and Apple devices for synchronizing the events automatically.
The process is simple. We need to create the calendar file (with extension .ics) in a publicly accessible URL and add the URL to the applications. The applications will check the URL at preset intervals and update the events as per the .ics file. Google Calendar have their own interval settings, so the event synchronization may be a bit delayed.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Overlib.js not working in Internet Explorer 10 (IE 10)

The overlib.js fail to work in IE 10. The error that is usually thrown in the console is "SCRIPT5007: Unable to get property '1' of undefined or null reference "
I investigated and found that the code simply considers the browser version to be only 1 digit. So, when we use IE 10, this does not match.
There is a simple solution though.

Sunday, February 24, 2013

Select multiple items in Windows Explorer (files and folders) without using ctrl key

Selecting multiple items using touch pad often makes us to repeat the same procedure from the beginning when we inadverently click outside the selection which deselects all the previously selected items. It is more difficult when you have a large number of items and you need to scroll the page which most probably deselects the items.

In Windows 7, you have a provision to display checkboxes to all the items such that you can use to select individual items.

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Internet Information Services (IIS) fail to start webserver - HRESULT : 0x80070020 (Reason: Skype update)

Internet Information Services (IIS) fail to start webserver - HRESULT : 0x80070020 (Reason: Skype update)
Recently when trying to start the website using Inetmgr I am getting error that "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070020)". Everything was working fine a day before. I checked the log and found that Skype was the only application that was updated the previous day. On checking the settings of the Skype I found that it is configured to use the port 80 which is the default port used by the webserver. I changed the port and the webserver started working.

Steps to change the setting in Skype
  1. Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> Connection and un-check 'Use port 80 and 443 as alternatives for incoming connections'. 
  2. Restart Skype.